Today civil rights activists from organizations including Dream Defenders and Millennial Activists United met with President Obama, Attorney General Holder, and Vice President Biden. These were among their demands:
- The federal government using its power to prosecute police officers that kill or abuse people.
- Removing local district attorneys from the job of holding police accountable, and instead having independent prosecutors at the local level charged with prosecuting officers.
- The establishment of community review boards that can make recommendations for police misconduct, instead of allowing police departments to police themselves.
- Defunding local police departments that use excessive force or racially profile. Instead of having the Department of Justice (DOJ) wholesale giving more than $250 million to local police departments annually, DOJ should only fund departments that agree to adopt DOJ best practices for training and meaningful community input.
- The demilitarization of local police departments.
- Investing in programs that provide alternatives to incarceration, such as community-led restorative justice programs and community groups that educate people about their rights.
Read their full statement.