These are the 2013 stories that rose to the top from this humble blog, thanks to your interest and support. They appear in chronological order, starting in January 2013 and running through December. Happy New Year!
1. Spooky Surveillance Tech: The DOJ is funding research and development for face recognition-enabled binocluars. (Oh and DARPA is working on contact lenses, of course.)
2. Watch what happens when ubiquitous video surveillance is turned on the police. Spoiler alert: You see cops doing bad things.
3. President Obama put on a secret "Alice in Wonderland" themed Halloween party in 2009. Down the rabbit hole we go…
4. A history lesson: The FBI, COINTELPRO, and the most important robbery you've never heard of.
5. Private spy companies shop their wares to government agencies, and if you're a Twitter radical, you're likely in their sights. On social media spying, anarchists, and May Day.
6. Some people say, "If you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to fear" from mass surveillance. If you hear someone repeat that dangerous myth, show them this.
Photo credit: Essam Sharaf